Move to the US using these work-based strategies

A work visa (usually an H-1 visa) for the USA requires the following:

Qualifications and experience need to be evaluated

An accredited evaluation agency in the USA will need to evaluate all your qualifications and experience. For starters, though, you will need to hold a degree that is equivalent to a US Bachelor’s degree and you will need to have worked in that field for a number of years.

A job offer

If you have received an offer of employment in line with your qualifications and experience, the Department of Labor will determine the wage you should be offered.

It is important to note that the H-1 visa season opens on 1 April, and the petition needs to be filed on this date due to oversubscription.

Your employer applies for your Green Card

This application can take between nine and 24 months, depending on your qualifications. The speed of the process is directly proportional to your degree – the higher your degree, the faster the application process.

If you have the equivalent of a US Bachelor’s degree, you will be classified in a 3rd preference category; if you have a Master’s degree or higher, and if the offer of employment matches this qualification, you will be classified in a 2nd preference category.

You display a level of excellence in the fields of business, art or sciences

If you have an extraordinary national or international reputation in business, the arts or the sciences, you are more likely to find a wider array of options open to you. A reputable immigration lawyer will be able to assist with your application, should this apply to you.

Enjoyed this post? Share it!


Leave a comment